Monday 13 May 2013

SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY HOME---PART 1

"GONNA TAKE A SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY
GONNA SET MY HEART AT EASE
GONNA TAKE A SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY
TO RENEW OLD MEMORIES"

THAT'S WHAT I'M FEELING---THAT'S WHAT I'M GONNA DO.
Have not been home in many years---and I'm feeling the urge to make (perhaps) a last trip to my roots in rural Louisiana--to see what it has to say to me. I leave from Columbus, NM.

Take the border road to El Paso.  In the middle of nowhere ---see these two horsemen (yes there are two) riding slowly across the desert---looking down.  They wave to me.
 
Seriously dry badlands.
 
 I stop an assemblage of  Patrolmen and ask what the riders are doing.  Looking for the footprints of illegals--of course.  I also ask if these are the infamous badlands of NM sung about in Marty Robbins El Paso song.  This is them he said.  Nice friendly guys--they also directed me to a tire shop.
 Right there--a quarter mile away are the hovels of Juarez Mexico.
 I got 4 new tires and drove on to this ghost town---will stay the night here.
 Here's how to boondock in Texas. (since it has no BLM bureau of land management land as the other western states do)  Just find a little used road---get about a mile off the interstate and settle along the generous shoulder.  Here I am next morning.
I check out several abandoned houses trying to piece the story together---why did everybody leave?  Still don't know.
 
 
 This old school intrigued me.  Decided to investigate.
 As I approach--was startled to see this:  The ghost of a past principal?
 Not really!   A truck driver--curious like me about the building.  He told me he had passed it for years but decided today he would investigate.  Together we talked---AND THEN----AND THEN.
 A beautiful woman pedals up.  Meet Kelly---on a solitary cross country odyssey to the east coast.
 I gave her a cold chocolate Yoo Hoo---seemingly appreciated.
 
 Mike hurried to give her (and me) some delicious naval oranges. 
Kelly records the moment with a time shot.
And then we sat and talked a long while. Kelly rides about 70 miles a day---about as far as I drive---has full set of camping gear.
 
RANDY PHILOSOPHIZES:  A very unlikely convergence in a ghost town.
Moments like this make my life rich.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment