Thursday 20 June 2013

SONDHEIMER STORIES----AMAZING BUT TRUE

I'M NOW SETTLED IN THE COOL FOREST NEAR FLAGSTAFF SHIFTING LOCATION TODAY TO THE COOL COMPANY OF THE RUBBER TRAMPS---an informal association of mobile friends created by a charismatic champion of freedom---Bob Wells. Read about him here: http://cheaprvlivingblog.com/

I now have time to complete my Sondheimer stories---one a day--till I think I've made my point.

Sondheimer, La--- about 1945----My first 17 years in this tiny town of 300 souls. That tiny white dot--middle left was my home.  Mostly a company town with lots of company houses, a company store and two mills---a lumber mill (top) and a stave mill (middle right)---(staves: curved strips of wood to make barrels).
operational from the 20's to the 90's ---when they ran out of trees.  The owner was a Jewish guy named Conn---whom I never saw---lived far away----tried to print his own money in the form of "chits"---spendable only at the company store.  The federal government straightened him out.  White managers oversaw black laborers.

Story 1:  MY MOTHER AND FATHER WAGE LEGAL WAR---WITH EACH OTHER! WHILE STILL LIVING TOGETHER.
My mother ran a private grocery near our house. My father owned the two bars in town---a colored and a white.
 Mother got religion---I saw her baptized in the Mississippi river---came to hate alcohol and its effects.
quietly initiated a petition to outlaw the sale of alcohol in our town.  Solicited the support of the Southern Baptist Convention anti-alcohol team.  They sent representatives who came--held meetings---passed out literature.

My father sent for the Brewery association team---they sent handsome young men who held meetings making the case for alcohol: (freedom of choice---tax revenue)

I remember my parents coming home from a long day campaigning for their respective cause---and then going to bed together.

Election day was dramatic---feelings high on both sides---town filled with people---very tense as the vote was counted.   MY FATHER WON by 9 votes.  Liquor stayed in Sondheimer.

The next parish-wide election---MY MOTHER RAN FOR SHERIFF.  (SHE LOST)

My mother was considered the village saint---but she was married to the village atheist--my father.
She did not believe in divorce--so they stayed married---till I was 17.  She moved away--became a nurse
achieved local fame in Monroe, La for energizing an old folks home. She later remarried---lived a happy life with many friends---died at age 82. (I was with her)  Her last words: "Aww Pop (her name for me) don't look so sad----I'M ON MY WAY TO GLORY".

                                            My Mother: Bobby Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment