Monday 29 April 2013

CONFRONTING MY PREJUDICE IN A PARKING LOT

HE WAS SEATED IN HIS VAN--DOOR OPEN--HEAD BACK--MOUTH OPEN--SOUND ASLEEP---BEVERAGE CAN ON THE PAVEMENT--FALLEN FROM HIS HANDS.  (so sorry to miss the picture).
I reported to my companion:  "I can see the story here:  Guy's a drunk---wife probably kicked him out---he's adrift in the world ---sleeping in his van---staying drunk to cope with his lost-ness.

Then I went back later to see this:

He was reading the Bible it seemed.  Was friendly and rational---does not even drink alcohol---was just dog tired from his second job.  I engaged him a bit and learned he's sleeping here to avoid a 40 mile drive home---has to attend a safety course in the morning at the nearby Pima mine.

I asked and he showed me what he was reading.

 
Now I know he is a Mormon---Told me the story of his conversion at age 27.  I asked him to read a bit to me---and he did---something about King somebody going forth to somewhere---very boring---but I listened politely.  Let him evangelize a bit---considered for a fleeting second informing him of the infamous and faith destroying
BOOK OF ABRAHAM which is contained in the PEARL OF GREAT PRICE---which he's holding in his hands. The number one best evidence that Mormonism is a fraud.

Here's the story for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham

Even Mormon Theologians are compelled to admit that it's a fraud.  (why they still believe in that unbelievable religion is beyond me)  Here is their lame response:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/mor/tboa/

But I stray from my topic:  I built up pictures in my head about his character but WAS DEAD WRONG.  He is a solid citizen---family man--with a pension and property---with a fascinating hobby---rockhounding. (showed me some samples) He's making his way in the world perhaps more successfully than me.  I really am adrift in the world.
So I did not tamper with his religion. 

I have been at this crossroads before and chosen differently.
http://mobilecodgers.blogspot.com/2009/05/tampering-with-innocents.html

So I chose differently this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment